Consider with me for a moment these words from the scriptures.
“And go quickly, and tell his disciples that he is risen from the dead.”2
“Why seek ye the living among the dead? He is not here, but is risen.”3
“Peace be unto you”4.
“He shewed unto them his hands and his side”5.
This dispensation has no glorious message other than what the angels declared to Mary Magdalene and Christ’s apostles. This message is the one that all mankind needs to hear. This is the message of hope and joy. The message that gives peace to a troubled heart or the one weeping for the loss that they believe can never be restored. I want to testify to you all that resurrection is real. The saviour of mankind broke the bands of death. There is hope in the resurrection. Everything that is lost will be restored through his resurrection.
Resurrection is reuniting the spirit with the body in an immortal state, no longer subject to disease or death. Because of the Fall of Adam and Eve, we are subject to physical death, which is the separation of the spirit from the body. Through the Atonement of Jesus Christ, all people will be resurrected and saved from physical death. 6 Resurrection is reuniting the spirit with the body in an immortal state, no longer subject to disease or death.7
Resurrection is for all mankind.
The mission of God, the father and the son, is clear in the scriptures. They declared, “ Behold this is my work and my glory to bring to pass immortality and eternal life of man”. 8 To accomplish the work of the father and as a part of the plan of happiness, the son of God was sent to the earth. He came to succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees.”9 His mission was to be a bridge to help mankind cross the obstacles of sin and death. His glorious atonement paved the way for forgiveness of sin if we exercise faith in him and repent for our sins. His resurrection assured mankind of immortality. This free gift of resurrection is for all mankind. The scriptures assure this.
Because we are all his sons and his daughters, god is no respecter of persons.11 Everyone that is born on this earth will be resurrected.
Resurrection brings restoration.
The Book of Mormon throws greater light on the resurrection. Alma teaches by way of the commandment to his son about resurrection. He teaches the following.
- Resurrection does not take place until after the coming of Christ. 13
- There is a space between death and resurrection. 14
- The spirits of men are taken home to that god who gave life. 15
- The spirit of righteous is received into a state of happiness called paradise. 16
- The spirit of the wicked shall be cast into outer darkness. 17
- Resurrection brings to pass restoration. 18
- In order for the justice of god to be just, all things must be restored to the proper order. 19
- All men will be judged according to their works and restored to their state. 20
What great insights we learn from these words.
- The Saviour foretold his resurrection to his apostles and the others, but none understood it. One of the classic examples is recorded in the new testament when the saviour learns about Lazarus’ death, whom he loves. When Martha asked Jesus to heal Lazarus, he said, “thy brother will rise again”. Martha understands that the resurrection at the last day. Then Jesus declares unto her, “I am the resurrection, and the life: he that believeth in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live” 21 Martha was looking at a far distance for his brother to be resurrected. Whereas the one who holds the power of resurrection was right in front of her. Later Jesus performs the great miracle and raises Lazarus from the dead.
I want to testify that Jesus Christ is the saviour of the world. He is our saviour and our redeemer. It is only by him that salvation can come to mankind. I also testify that he is the resurrection and the life. We all can be resurrected and restored. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
- Mathew 28:6
- Mathew 28:7
- Luke 24:5
- John 20:19
- John 20:20
- 1 Corinthians 15:22
- Gospel Topics – Resurrection
- Moses 1:39
- D&C 81:5
- 1 Corinthians 15: 21
- Acts 10:34
- 1 Corinthians 15: 53-54
- Alma 40:2
- Alma 40:6
- Alma 40:11
- Alma 40:12
- Alma 40:13
- Alma 40:23
- Alma 41:2
- Alma 41:3-4
- John 11:25