The Lord speaks to his people in many ways; one of them is through his chosen leaders. We, the saints in the Coimbatore India district, received the instructions from our Lord through District Conference. The saints gathered with great hope and loved to receive the counsel, direction and warning for their branches, families, and individuals to move forward during these troubled times. Due to the pandemic, members from a few branches watched the live session virtually from their respective buildings; however, this did not hinder the conference's purpose or the spirit that the saints felt.
The leaders taught great principles during the two days of the conference. Here are a few principles:
· The importance of priorities, 'That all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order.' 1 Setting priorities diligently will help us determine what we seek in life, and the Lord expects us first to seek the kingdom of God.
· Spiritual self-reliance is most needed for the hour, as we cannot draw water from an empty well. Studying the scripture regularly and applying that in life with faith will help members to be self-reliant for their spiritual growth.
· Balancing our lives with family, career, church calling and serving others will ultimately bless us and our generation.
· Family scripture study, family home evening and family prayer will safeguard the families from the adversary. We should become one with the saviour, which will lead us to become one with the family.
· Couples staying on the covenant path and doing what the Lord wants them to do will strengthen them to be always united in their marriage bond.
· Heavenly Father will not force us to be happy or Joyful, but he will persuade us through the spirit.
President. Thomas, Mission President of India Bangalore Mission, quoted words from Brigham Young, 'He who takes offense when offense was not intended is a fool, yet he who takes offense when offense is intended is an even greater fool for he has succumbed to the will of his adversary.' 2 This opened our minds and made us to ponder about being prideful and being offended.
These and many more words from our beloved leaders enlightened our spirits. The counsel given by the leaders helped members to realize the love of the almighty for us. God never leaves His children astray. Leaders are called through inspiration, and the members of the
district sustained wholeheartedly the newly called Coimbatore District Presidency. Our newly called district president. Charles Pandian, President. Nikhil Karan John, his first counsellor and President. Suresh Kumar Yappa, his second counsellor, and their spouses shared their testimonies which strengthened the testimony of the members. The saints also expressed their gratitude to the previous district presidency, who served diligently. It was a wonderful spiritual delight for all of us.
1 Mosiah 4:27
2 Elder Marion D. Hanks, 'Even as Christ Forgave' June 1974,General Conference